Sh2-157 - The Lobster Claw Nebula in modified Hubble palette
Sharpless 157, also known as the Lobster Claw Nebula, is a bright emission nebula that lies in the constellation Cassiopeia. It lies just south of the better-known Bubble Nebula (NGC 7635). Within this image of the Lobster Claw are a few other objects. Planetary Nebula PLN 110-0.1 is located near the center of the upper-right quadrant. The bright nebular spot near the center of the image is Lyn's Bright Nebula 537 (LBN537), also known as Sharpless 157a. The small cluster of stars just above the bottom pincer is Markarian 50 and the bright cluster of stars located above the top pincer is open cluster NGC 7510.
Click here to see the H-alpha image.
Click here to see the OIII image.
Click here to see the SII image.
Anacortes Telescope & Wild Bird "Image of the Day" - October 18, 2012
Sky & Telescope online Photo Gallery - January 2013
Published in Sky & Telescope magazine (p.78) - January 2013
Astronomy.com "Picture of the Day" - May 1, 2013
Featured in Astronomy Magazine's e-mail Newsletter - May 3, 2013
- Telescope: Stellarvue Raptor SVR80 @ f/6
- Accessories: Stellarvue SFF6 flattener; Dew control by Dew Buster; Alnitak Flat-Man
- Mount: Takahashi EM-200 Temma2
- Camera: QSI583wsg CCD @ -10.0C
- Guiding: Starlight Xpress Lodestar via PHD
- Filters: Astrodon 5nm Ha, OIII, SII
- Exposure: 12 x 20min.(Ha), 21 x 20min.(OIII), 11 x 20min.(SII); all binned 1x1
- Acquisition: ImagesPlus Camera Control v4.3
- Processing: ImagesPlus v5.0
- Post-processing: ImagesPlus v5.0; Adobe Photoshop CS5
- Date(s): September 9, 10, 18 & 19, 2012
- Location: Hendersonville, TN, USA
lobsterlobster clawsharpless 157lbn537lbn 537ngc 7510ngc7510sharpless 157amodified hubble palettemodified hstsharpless
From Hubble Palette Images