Sh2-275 The Rosette Nebula in HST palette
The Rosette Nebula is a large H-II region located in the Monoceros region of our own Milky Way Galaxy. It has an apparent magnitude of 9.0 and lies about 5,200 light-years away. This nebula spans a swath of the sky about 130 light-years across. At the center of the nebula lies open cluster NGC 2244 (Caldwell 50), which was born from the Rosette's nebulosity around 4 million years ago, and was discovered by William Herschel in 1784. It is believed that the stellar winds from the cluster are blowing away nebulous matter which is creating the hole in the center of the nebula. Other designations for this nebula are NGC 2237,NGC 2238, NGC 2239, NGC 2246, Sharpless 275 (Sh2-275) and Caldwell 49.
This image is in the standard Hubble Space Telescope (HST) palette where SII = Red, H-alpha = Green, OIII = Blue.
This version is a reprocess of our original HST. We made some adjustments based on a suggestion from a fellow astroimager, John Ebersole, to supress the greens (H-alpha) in order to enhance the tones and colors from the other channels (OIII & SII).
Click here to see the H-alpha image
Click here to see the OIII image
Click here to see the SII image
Anacortes Telescope & Wild Bird "Image of the Day" - January 24, 2013
Astrophotgallery.org "Medium - Nebula" winner - January 2013
- Telescope: Stellarvue Raptor SVR105 @ f/7
- Accessories: Stellarvue SFF7-21 flattener; Dew control by Dew Buster; Alnitak Flat-Man; Aurora flat panel
- Mount: Takahashi EM-200 Temma2
- Camera: QSI583wsg CCD @ -10.0C
- Guiding: Starlight Xpress Lodestar via PHD
- Filters: Astrodon 5nm Ha/OIII/SII
- Exposure: 12 x 20min. (Ha); 12 x 20min. (OIII); 12 x 20min. (SII)
- Acquisition: ImagesPlus Camera Control v5
- Processing: Calibration, DDP in Images Plus v5; Registration in Registar
- Post-processing: ImagesPlus 5; Adobe Photoshop CS5; Noel Carboni's Actions
- Date(s): January 3, 4, 6, 7, 2013
- SQM reading (begin - end): N1:19.10 - clouds; N2:19.07 - 19.06; N3:18.98 – 19.13; N4:19.03 – ??
- Temperature (begin - end): N1:30.2ºF – 26.2ºF; N2:32.4ºF – 23.7ºF; N3:33.3ºF – 25.3ºF; N4:32.9ºF - ??ºF
- Location: Hendersonville, TN, USA
rosettesharpless 275ngc2244ngc 2244ngc2237ngc 2237caldwell 49rosette nebulanarrowbandnarrow bandshohubble palettehstsharpless
From Hubble Palette Images